J. Allan

Default Discards (was Dinghy pursuit racing: advice needed)

"Stefan" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

the no discards series has thrown up some very interesting results
in the past - rewarding turning up and consistantcy
- one missed race can take you out of the silverware if there are
30 + boats i nthe series

No-discard series are another question. Limiting discards should
encourage participation, but no discards may put people off since
almost nobody these days can make every race in a long series. A well-
known club I know has recently changed its summer series scoring from
no- discard to a small number of discards and seen participation
significantly increase, as more people can realistically hope to win
the series and therefore make the effort to turn up.

Anyone seen the case being made out for making the Olympics (and
possibly thereafter RRS Appendix 1) no discards? I thought the 1
discard was meant to cater for gear failure and bad hair days in a way
that would not affect the final result?

John