Gary Gardina

Default RRS 88.3 (b) & Restricted Line DSQ v DNE

Dennis Bartley wrote:
Port tacking seems to be well addressed in Part 2 Section A – Right of
Way and Section B – General Limitations, and also seems to be addressed
in Section A. Plus the penalties for this type of infraction seems to
be defined in 44 PENALTIES FOR BREAKING RULES OF PART 2, and for other
simiar infractions in 31.2, 44.3, etc.

However, failing to sail the course might be more applicable in this
case. I guess that my question regarding rule 2 and the restricted line
is more related to failing to sail the course a proper manner and at the
same time doing so in a manner that clearly gives the violating boat an
unfair advantage.

Yes, as you point out, this is a violation of rule 28. Since it isn't part
2, you can only correct it by unwinding the string properly, not a 720 (or
other alternative penaly). Should he not fix the mistake, the only penalty
is DSQ.

OK... now it's clear to me -- thanks.

What would be a violation of fair sailing is if it were something like the
last race of the series, all he needed was to push one boat back in the
fleet, intentionally violated a rule so he could get on top of this one
boat. A similar incident

Missed the last part of this story...

.. a similar incident ocurred in the 1984 Olympic Finn qualifiers. One boat
would win even if he was last, as long as another competitor didn't finish
in the top 10 (or something like that). So he crossed the line early, then
sat on top of his friend for the race, and when he pushed his friend to last
place at the windard mark, retired. This is the basis for IYRU case 34.

IYRU Case 34 & the other Rule 2 cases are an interesting read. While
there I learned something about individual recalls (cases 31, 65, 71 &
79)that I had questions on -- thanks again!

Gary