Walt

Default Tacking at the Mark

Walt wrote:

Reading over the rules I'm puzzled by something:

The preamble to rule 18 says that the inside boat is entitled to room to
tack if it's a normal part of the manoeuver, but 18.1b says that rule 18
is inapplicable when the proper course of either boat is to tack.
(actual text quoted below)

So when is tacking a normal manoeuver that would be covered by rule 18?

Actually the only thing that's puzzling is my inability to read. Rule
18.1b only covers boats on opposite tacks. When boats are on the same
tack rule 18 *does* apply and it makes sense to talk about the inside
boat being given room to tack.

My appologies if I've wasted anyones time.

Can anybody cite a situation where rule 18 applies and tacking is a
normal part of the manoeuvere?

Example: two overlapped port tack boats approaching a windward mark to
be left to port.

Otherwise, it seems that the provision
in the preamble is never relevant. Or am I missing something?

Just a few brain cells...

--
//-Walt
//