Lloyd Sumpter

Default Bayliner Bottom Blisters

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:22:25 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

I'd fix the damage and properly bottom paint. An undesirable job, but
if you don't do it they won't go away nor will they get better.

And if they're between the gelcoat and the skinout mat (as 99% of such blisters
are)
they are a cosmetic problem only. If you lose a lot of sleep worrying about how
your boat looks under the waterline, spend a few thousand to fix them.....but
there is a high probabilty that unless you peel the bottom and relaminate with
vinylester (which is what the newer Bayliners have used for several years) any
lesser fix will be temporary, at best.

When I bought Far Cove almost 15 years ago, I had professionals "fix"
the blister problem. A few years later, I was picking the goop out of the
drill-holes, and new blisters were appearing. Now, Far Cove has blisters.
Some have been there for almost 15 years. Can't say they're doing any
damage, although "fixing the blisters" IS on my List Of Things To Do (but
probably after replacing the engine, stancions and upholstery, re-seating the
windows, repainting the deck...)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 (1983)