Thom Stewart

Default The Bent Boom

Bob,

I know what you are saying and yes it can be true but probably not. When
you say a week you are getting into the time period where cruising
people take their "Do Dads" with them. When they do this the R/C suffers
badly in performance. This is to be expected and is accepted. It is
still a fast cruiser but its' performance does drop off badly, where a
true cruiser doesn't lose that much and it does start to be a toss up of
which boat is going to have the better over-all performance. Granted the
"Crab Cruncher" didn't have that much to lose to start with

Boat designers have spent forever trying to find the right compromise
and will be for ever looking. That's sailing. There is untold
personalities to be satisfied. As soon a one is satisfied the desire
will change.

For sure You and I aren't going to come up with the answer but one thing
is sure a J30 loaded for cruising isn't going to match a Nordic. A
stripped out Nordic, sure a hell, isn't going to out-perform a J30 in
racing trim. Even Bob Perry says about the same thing, and he probably
comes the closest with his fast cruiser concept.

You can use it as a troll but the discussion is a old as the first "Rag
Sailer" that hollowed out the first Keel.

And; "I'll Drink to That!"

Ole Thom