Steve Thomas

Default Radio question

"Donal" wrote in message

"Steve Thomas" wrote in message
. ..
I seem to recall commercial advertisement for single mode fibres that
involved a graduated refractive index rather than extremely small

diameter.
One thing is certain, until the amount of work involved with polishing

the
ends is reduced, it will never replace copper wire for low cost or

casual
applications.

We've just finished putting in 1700 fibre links at US$111.00 each.

The ends were all hand polsihed, but we used a special connector that

almost
eliminates split fibre.

Personally, I think that soon fibre will be economical for general use.
How much does Cat6 cost?

Our facility was done about 3.5 years ago - over 2 million square feet.
Glass fibre for long runs between switches, Cat 5 for the rest.
I think that in either case, the labour cost outwieghs the cost of the
transmission media.

Regards

Donal