Thread: shopping pains
View Single Post
  #27   Report Post  
Jeff Morris

Default shopping pains

Simple Simon wrote:
More downsides:

1) It won't go to weather worth a crap

Some do, some don't. Since you always power to weather, why do you bother to comment?

2) It's uglier than sin

A matter of opinion. I think mine is very handsome, though it is a somewhat unique
design. However, I'll confess that I felt a bit out of place in Vineyard Haven, which has
a large number of traditional wooden boats and classic plastic.

3) If your built-in generator takes a crap you're out of commission

What geneator? You're talking about a boat that likely has twin deisels, each with an
alternator. Acres of space for solar panels. No need for A/C at anchor, since we (and
most) have 6 large forward facing top hatches, plus 10 other opening hatches.

4) It'll capsize and stay capsized and it can and will sink

So you say, but it hardly ever happens. Statistically, a monohull is far more likely to
sink.

5) It's a pain in the butt to anchor

Why? I have twin bows so two sets of gear are ready to go. I have an immense work area
so no one is afraid to go to the bow, even in rough weather. Its true that I do have to
rig a bridle, bu that only takes a few minutes and eliminates chaff.

6) Two motors equals twice the headaches

Yes, especially when I'm backing through a marina, and spinning the boat in place. And
its really a headache when I foul one prop on a lobsta pot and only have one engine left.

Yes, I do have twice as many oil changes, but I can live with that.

7) It's a better motorboat than a sailboat

In some cases, but its almost always a better sailboat than a monhull the same size.

8) It's way way way too expensive for what you get

I could have got a Hunter 42 for the same money. I think I got the better of the deal.
Its true that the used market is rather expensive - maybe because people are willing to
pay?

9) Did I say it's uglier than sin?

Glass houses, Neal, Glass Houses.

10) Real cruisers will laugh at you and won't want to be
anywhere near you in an anchorage. It's a case of
"Oops! there goes the neighborhood!"

Real cruisers stop by because they know my fridge is twice as large! But I'm often
anchored close to shore since a three foot draft allows me to go where most monohulls only
dream of.

S.Simon - the skipper of "half a yacht"