Jeff Morris

Default Radio question

As I mentioned in another post, its called "ducting" and works between layers of the
atmosphere. Its not the same as "skipping" which is bouncing off the troposphere. In
open water 20 to 40 miles is common - I encountered this a few days ago with some good,
but not very special equipment. Radar will also "duct" allowing you to sometimes see
features behind an island.

BTW, I often hear Woods Hole or Portland Maine CG - 80 and 100 miles from Boston. I
doubt they have a mile high antenna.

-jeff

Wally wrote:
Bobsprit claims to have made a VHF transmission of over 40nm. Given
that his antenna height is about 50 feet, that would require, for a
line of sight transmission, that the other antenna be about 800 -
eight hundred - feet above the water.

I believe that 40 miles is too close for skip, so could his
transmission have a 'terrain following' effect in the sense that the
sea might act as a ground plane?

Would anyone care to comment on the veracity of Bobsprit's claim?