Simple Simon

Default Radio question

As usual . . .

Bobsprit lied. His antenna simply isn't high enough to get out forty miles.

I can receive Coast Guard transmissions from Group Key West - 90 miles,
Group Miami - 80 miles. This huge range is because their antennas are about
five hundred feet high. It wouldn't surprise me either if their transmission power
is higher than 25 watts.

S.Simon

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Bobsprit claims to have made a VHF transmission of over 40nm. Given that his
antenna height is about 50 feet, that would require, for a line of sight
transmission, that the other antenna be about 800 - eight hundred - feet
above the water.

I believe that 40 miles is too close for skip, so could his transmission
have a 'terrain following' effect in the sense that the sea might act as a
ground plane?

Would anyone care to comment on the veracity of Bobsprit's claim?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com