Shen44

Default Radar and Basic Nav.

Subject: Radar and Basic Nav.
From: (Bobsprit)
Date: 09/02/2003 04:04 Pacific Standard Time

I've been using several books to aid Suzanne with learning basic nav skills.
Dispite Mooron's comment that Radar is a "basic" component for the novice,
it's
not covered at all until (Colgate, Seamanship series and so on)
Some of these books are up to 4 years old. I'm guessing that NEW books will
show that learning radar is a basic nav skill that a person should start
with.

RB

Radar is an aid to navigation, that is well learned if one has one, but not as
important to learn for beginners, as some of the other basics, such as compass,
chart work, etc..
Contrary to what some may think, radar is not something you can just turn on,
for the first time, and be instantly familiar and competent with it's usage.
I have seen any number of people using it on a fairly regular basis, who have
problems tuning (and sometimes detuning) for best picture, then equating that
picture to their charts or vessel traffic around them.
Without knowing the basics of relative motion and how to plot targets, you can
easily get yourself into as much trouble as you can avoid.

Shen