For example

Default Fog signal frequency

"Jack Dale" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:46:33 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
wrote:

mmmmmmm, why would they require different fog signals for power vs sail

if
there is no pecking order in fog?

The pecking order remains the same in fog.

A simple memory aid:

One prolonged blast (power underway)- moving (one word)

Two prolonged blasts (underway, no way on - adrift) - not moving (two
words)

One prolonged blast, 2 short blasts - Almost all others (three words)

Well it is even more logical than that. Two long is morse M which has the
meaning 'my vessel is stoppped and making no way through the water'

long short short is morse D which has the meaning 'my vessel is restricted
in its ability to manoeuvre ....'.

The signals have those same meanings by sound or light in good visibility.

The 'normal' rules only apply to vessels within sight of each other, ie NOT
just detected on radar or heard. So it is a completely different game in
restricted vis. in a sense it is therefore true that there is no pecking
order but it is obviously desirable to know if you are dealing with a power
vessel that can manoeuvre easily or one that cannot.

Thanks for the comments above; I take the point about varying the interval
in case you are exactly overlapping an automatic system. However, giving an
inexperienced crewmember a watch and precise instructions is easier than
requesting some wobble !

Steve
(OP - different machine)