Jeff Morris

Default Trip Report: Boston to Vineyard (Long)

Many charts: assorted charts of the Boston and Vineyard area, full Chartkit for New
England, small waterproof ChartKits for cockpit use, and chart chips for the GPS. Also,
the New England Embassy cruising guide and several other Vineyard books, including a
phonebook.

For tides, Eldridge (the traditional local tide & current book) and a tide program in the
Palm Pilot. However, the currents dominate this trip, and they were worked out a week in
advance so that they could be double and triple checked, and the itinerary refined as the
weather picture unfolded.

Cape Cod Canal and Wood's Hole are not places to hesitate, but I must confess that before
GPS and Radar, I paused several times before entering a new harbor. There's nothing like
being sure of where you are! The biggest fault I would find in Booby's adventure is
planning to arrive at 2AM for a first time entrance to a harbor he considers treacherous.

--
-jeff
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

Capt. Mooron wrote:
"The Captains Master" wrote in message

What, no mention of bottom contours? ;-)

Well at least he knew the tides and prevailing winds..... plus he
didn't mention having to make "several passes" to enter any harbours!

I bet he even had charts aboard!....

CM