Simple Simon

Default Fog signal frequency

For sailboats it's one prolonged blast followed by one short.
But, if you're motoring as the poster was, then you must sound
the motor boat signal which consists on one prolonged blast.

A sailboat becomes a motorboat when it's using its engine.

S.Simon - a Captain who's serious about sailing

"fraggy" wrote in message ...
hiya
I thought that the blast at 2 min intervals if you are a sailing vessel you
make 1 long blast followed by 1 short ?

fragged

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
While motoring last week we encountered thick fog and I requested a
crew member to sound a 5 second blast every minute. My thinking being
that the colregs specify an interval of not more than 2 minutes and
shorter would be better in a busy harbour entrance.

The skipper later said that I should have specified an interval of 2
minutes. A quick Google shows that the interval is sometimes quoted as
2 minutes, although I know that the colregs do say 'not greater than 2
minutes'.

Any thoughts ? Is exactly 2 minutes advisable for any reason ? Is 1
minute potentially confusing ?

Thanks

Steve