Peter J Ross

Default [OT] computer viruses - was Is this group about sailing?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:37:20 +0100, a team of surgeons from
alt.sailing.asa removed the following benign growth from Richard
Watson:

Peter J Ross writes:

Windows has emacs, and therefore gnus.

Not to mention SLRN. But I can defend my list as a list of
user-friendly newsreaders with lots of twinkly icons and no lisp or
slang syntax to learn.

Aha, nothing like shifting goalposts is there ;-)

You made a good point, which I accepted. This isn't a flame war (yet),
is it? ;-)

So how are you going to keep pan off the list?

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

I think Pan is crap, personally. I've used two versions of it, and
they both made Sylpheed-Claws seem stable.

Of course since kde is ported to cygwin it won't be long before knode
runs on windows, if it doesn't already.

But Windoze users won't install Cygwin. They'll install, at best,
Agent or XNews. Cygwin and Gnus and Slrn are *complicated*, and I
still insist that there's no intuitive Windoze newsreader for the
masses that's as good as KNode - or even Pan, if it's less buggy than
I found it to be.

I'd like to see a standards-compliant newsreader that works "out of
the box", the way Calypso/Courier does for email.

--
PJR :-)
mhm34x8