Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default EFI v.s. NON-EFI OUTBOARD ENGINES

The question boils down to: How long will it take to recoup the
difference between the two?

Most people only use their boats 30 to 50 hours per year, unless they
keep them in the water.

Newer-more expensive outboards - with EFI are easier to start, but a
well maintained carb job starts just as easy. EFI will save 10 to 15
percent on fuel. Also a new engine has a warranty along with a hefty
price tag.

You may want to investigate Suzuki's line of 4 stroke units. They are
VERY quiet and priced about the same as some other manufacturer's 2
stroke units. The local commercial fisherman and crabbers use them a lot
and the local dealer (Advance Marine) tells me he has seen the 70, 90
and 115 hp engines with over 20,000 hours on them and still running
well. The 90 sips fuel with an eyedropper.

On a recent trip to Silver Glen Springs, I took my cruiser and had 2
other boats running with me. One, a 21' Pro-line CC w/ Merc 115 2 stroke
and the other, a Crest "Superfish" 26' pontoon boat with a Suzuki 90.

At the fuel stop, The Pro-line took on 35 gallons, the pontoon boat 24
gallons. Me, well..My Formula PC gulped down 85 gallons. But the other 2
boats don't have air-conditioning and a hot water shower grin

That is an answer you will have to determine for yourself. Good luck.

Capt. Frank

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

djb wrote:

Hello all......I need help, the boat I am going to buy has a 1997 Evinrude
115 h.p., non EFI outboard engine on it.
The boat and engine are lovely and I wanna buy and keep this boat for many
years.
Should I wait t'till I can afford a boat w/ a EFI engine or buy the thing
and pay the little more for the gas that I am going to consume since it's
old-tech engine.
I need help, what are the big difference between EFI and NON-EFI
engines?????
Please help!!
DB