Wildest Dream

Default My alt. belt breaks alot Help please

WOW I just got sticker shock for replacing all 4 pulley's $300 or $250 w/o
the power steering pulley. I would really like to try to explain that one to
my partners wife but we are in the verge of trying to sell the boat so if
that's what it comes to I think I will leave it for the new owner, Just put
the forsale sign on it last Mon., "My father said the happiest day of a boat
buyers life is when he buys the boat and when he sells it" but I'm not so
sure, it is allot of money to keep one, and allot of time to keep it in good
shape, but I still love that boat. Good Boating.
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:04:08 GMT, "Wildest Dream"
wrote:

Hi does anyone have problems with alternator belts breaking 2 or 3 times

yr. about 100 hrs./yr. Looks to me the cause is rust on the pulleys

grinding
down the belts and leaving a nasty rubber powder behind, I always keep a
spare on board never had to change out of port,(almost the last time out

but
I thought my partner lost the anchor and I was close to port.) never had

get towed yet thanks goodness. The pulleys look to be running true. I

think
it is when I start it the first time for the day I have to pump the carb.
alittle, (throttle) and leave it open some and the jump in rpm's and

first
rust of the day pops it off. What do u think? Thank u all, Need Help in
Jersey.

This is (very) excessive. Check alignment, fit for sheave to sheave
and belt to sheave(s), and proper tension. Use the manufacturer's
specs for setting all of the above. Beyond this might be an overload
caused by too great a pre load on alternator bearings or more esoteric
crap..... check the simple things first..... and report back....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.