Scout

Default Bye bye Democrat Party.

I'd like to see more R&D with hydrogen fuel cells, (e.g., proton exchange
membrane fuel cells). I built a working Solar / Hydrogen powered model last
year (from a kit). It worked well; had a photovoltaic panel that produced
DC which was used for electrolysis of water. The water and the resultant H
and O gasses were all stored in a baffled tank (attached to car). The H and
O gasses were fed to the fuel cell, which used them to produce (1)
electricty to power the car, and (2) liquid water, which was dumped back
into the storage tank to be reused.
Naturally, I did not fail to consider the possibilities of using this
technology at sea, either for utilities on board, or for propulsion (for
docking purposes only!); hence, this is a sailing post.
So why didn't the car use just the solar panel? (I can hear some wondering)
The solar panel had to produce a minimum amount of H and O before the car
could overcome its initial inertia (move). The output of the solar panel
could generate enough H and O to keep an already car moving, but its
electrical output alone could not get it moving from a stand still. Also,
when the inevitable cloud passed overhead, the stored fuel allowed the car
to keep moving (as long as the sun came back in a reasonable amount of time)
The same tank holding the water also held the accumulating gasses, providing
higher capacity for the start up and sunless time periods. It took about
5-10 minutes in the sun before it began to move. Then it ran and ran and
ran, as long as the sun would shine (or in this case, until I got bored).
It gave me some faith in the concept of fuel cells.
Now, if we can ever get fusion to produce a better than 1 to 1 ratio . . .
Scout

"Vito" wrote
Actually, Bush (and environmentalists) ARE wrong about that. Yasee,
electricity comes from dirty coal-burning plants.