Gould 0738

Default OT - Where is the lie? (especially for jcs)

Bush stated: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein
recently
sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." This statement was a
true
statement. The fact that the British government had information proved to be
inaccurate does not make Bush's statement a lie. The statement

The fact that the Bush administration believed the information to be a lie
prior to the SOTU speech cannot be overlooked!

If you said, "I have just learned that the world is flat" and I repeat "John
has learned that the world is flat, and we should therefore pursue the
following policies".....it is technically true that I haven't lied, only
endorsed a statement made by a third party- but a statement that I know is not
at all accurate. No signficant moral difference between telling a lie myself
and letting somebody else lie for me. Same standards should apply to the
president. Sorry.