Default Trailer Brakes Maintenance - Tie Down Brake Actuator Questions

Thanks for the replies. Please see followup below...

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:01:59 -0400, Matt Colie =

wrote:

First - I would like to hear your answer to Brian's question, but I post=

=20
answers to you questions in-line (I hate this, but it will be easiest=20
in this case).

As stated "I believe in preventive maintenance." Also, I'm an old =
retired
guy that needs a worthwhile project. ;-) Being older probably also =
makes
me more conservative about safety issues.

wrote:
I'm seeking recommended maintenance for the brakes on our sailboat =

trailer.
We've had this trailer with Tie Down disc surge brakes and Dico =

actuator
for almost 7 years and even though the brake system seems to be =

working ok,
I'm thinking it's due for some extreme maintenance. We trailer every =

week
about 10 miles round-trip to fresh water and every year an additional =

500
miles to salt water. The trailer is tandem axle with brakes on the =

rear.
The boat weighs about 2500#. My inclination is to replace hubs, =

rotors,
calipers, actuator, back-up solenoid, and even hydraulic lines and =

hoses.
(I believe in preventive maintenance.) Is this too extreme and =

should I
expect a much longer life from disc brakes?
=20
I've tried to obtain some actuator info from Tie Down about their =

Model 66
Actuator but 2 queries to them ) have been ignored. I=

was
wondering=20
1. How is the breakaway function reset?

Whent he chain gets jerked the spring on top will fall into a notch in=20
the lever. Pry the spring up and lever the coupler bck into place.

The reason for this question is that with my current actuator (Dico) I =
must
remove 2 screws and a cover plate from around the breakaway lever to =
reset
it. I've inadvertently triggered the breakaway several times when =
hooking
up the trailer to the tow vehicle.

2. Can the surge brake function easily be disabled?=20

Yes - that is what the back-up solenoid does. Why??

In case the solenoid or wiring fails, I'd like to still be able to easily
back the trailer. =20

3. When installed, is the back-up solenoid covered (protected)?

Most are not, they just hang out in the air, but if left unsupported,=20
they can vibrate and break a steel line.

I have installed a protective aluminum plate over the solenoid and
hydraulic lines so that someone standing on the tongue will not step on
those components.

4. Is the Model 66 disc brake actuator the same as the Model 66 drum =

brake
actuator but with the check valve disabled?

I don't know those model numbers - too new.
5. Are all components rustproof?

No, they rust just like your car brakes do.

This question was intended for the actuator and solenoid only. I have a
fair amount of rust on the solenoid and fittings and in the fluid =
reservoir
at present.

Someone outthere makes SS disk brakes, but I have been know to=20
knock-down and repaint a Dico coupler or several.
=20

Our disc brakes have SS rotors although I'm thinking of replacing them
vented steel rotors. Yes, the rotors would rust then but I understand =
this
is not a problem as the rotors are cleaned during use. I would welcome
input on this assumption also. 90+ per cent of our launchings are in =
fresh
water.

I believe the calipers are a fairly corroded aluminum and I'm expecting
that these would be tough to service.

Are there more cost effective brake components than Tie Down?

I never bough Tie Down. I do a commercial trailer shop.
=20

What would a commercial solution look like for a 4000# loaded boat =
trailer?

Thanks again.

LB