Bertie the Bunyip

Default Lesson for Donal

Hello Sailor wrote in
:

On 8 Aug 2003 07:31:09 GMT, a team of surgeons from alt.sailing.asa
removed the following benign growth from Bertie the Bunyip:

The Cappys Master wrote in
m:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:34:34 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

The Cappys Master wrote in message
m...
Yep, considering that a forecast of 20-25 means possible gusts of up
to 35.
25 is a challenge with no reefing points, gusts of 35 very
challenging.

Uh oh!

If you know that the forecast is for 20-25 kt winds, then why don't
you put a reef in?
Duh!
No reefing points!

35 kts sustained would be challenging for beginners like Bob, or me.
However, 20-25 kts is just damn good sailing.

As it happens, we didn't put in a reef until the wind had stayed above
32 kts (apparent) for over 5 minutes.

Bob, why don't you tell us how you put a reef in under such
circumstances???

Regards

Donal

mmm