Peter Wiley

Default Simon rules - Rules discussion

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:43:14 +1000, The Cappys Master wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:27:17 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes, I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

Syndey Harbour ferries DO have right of way over sail
Go to
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/index.html
boating safety then collision regulation links

Priority Over Sail

Some Commercial ferries on Sydney Harbour display an orange diamond
shape which grants priority of way over sailing vessels. Do not
attempt to cross the path of an approaching ferry displaying this
signal.
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/onwater.html

This was brought into effect after a friend of mine was minced in the
propellors of a ferry. They were crossing its bows under sail in a
Soling , collided and when the ferry skipper used reverse to stop, he
was drawn into the front props, the ferries are double ended.

Yeah - that's what I meant with my comment to Simon. Didn't recall the
exact circumstance, but I knew Sydney ferries have ROW over sail and
only an idiot argues with them.

PDW