Jeff Morris

Default By the way, Donal

This is a silly argument, you sure pick odd things to take a stand on. Getting the
absolute most out of a boat can be challenging in any conditions - that's why there's only
one winner in most races. But "20-25 and gusting" is usually not considered too much of a
challenge for an experienced sailor.

Having learned in small boats, and non-self-rescuing dinghies, I got to the point here I
wouldn't bother going out unless it was blowing 20+. A Tech Dinghy or InterClub, both
about 12 feet, no bailer, not rightable, is a serious challenge in 25 to 35 knots. We
usually wouldn't race in winds over 25, though that was driven more by the capsize rate.
Its hard to run a regatta when half the boats flip at the first gybe mark.

When you take these skills to larger boats, things scale up. Properly reefed and setup, a
larger boat should not be too much of a challenge in F6. My wife, who suffers a bit in
bouncy going, usually insists on taking the helm, and always did a quite credible job in
F6 even as a novice. I would usually go below and make believe I was reading. The only
time she asked for help in open water was when we tried to go upwind in near F7 conditions
with only a single reef - when gusts to 35+ hit, the main needed some easing.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Let me remind you of the stupid comment that started this discussion.

You wrote "Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail. Winds
were challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35. "

Winds to and above 30 knots are challenging. Yes, I stand by that comment. I've
never heard otherwise..or read otherwise.

RB