Jeff Morris

Default Simon rules - Rules discussion

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
k.net...

Jeff Morris wrote:
Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant

with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a

traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of

adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

In most cases, you will find that these rules are case specific for a
particular event or highly limited local area. Since the "States" have
no authority over "ocean waters" of the particular state, where Rules of
the Road are concerned, you shouldn't (yet) see any bogus laws regarding
rules, past "demarcation" points.

Well, I didn't reall mean outside the ColRegs line - I was thinking waters inside the
line, but not in busy harbors. FOr instance, The Maine Island Trail®, which goes 325
miles through coastal Maine, most of it inside the line but in salt water:
http://www.mita.org/faq.html

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes,

I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast

Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know

MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

There may be some local law regarding "Staten Island" ferries, but I
have never heard of any other local law (that would have affected me)
giving "ferries", special dispensation, regarding the rules ..... why?

see Cappy's Master's response. Have you seen regs like that in the U.S.?