Jeff Morris

Default Simon rules - Rules discussion

Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes, I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:45:03 -0400, "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom
wrote:

"Nope - the local authorities can do whatever they damn well please" ?

Yes. That's what it says. For example, despite repeated claims that sailboats
have the "right of way" over powerboats, if the powerboat happens to be a US
Naval vessel it's a felony to pass within a certain number of yards without
permission. And the Coast Guard boat out in front will remind you of that.
There are also speed limits and no-wake zones, restrictions on anchoring and
mooring, etc, imposed by local authorities.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org