Jonathan Ganz

Default BERTIE ALERT

Well, don't give JL too much credit. It was pretty easy to out that
Gary/Bunny fag.

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
Thank you for all that jl. Most illuminating.

FT

jlrogers wrote:

Sorry Wally, I posted my reply to your message to Jeff. Here it is.

First, if you parse the header of the original message, you will find it
is incomplete. That's the first clue. Second is the "... information
for POC handle ZM117-ARIN has been reported to be invalid." Third is all
of the "sprint-gw.dlstx.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found" messages.

Using the info returned and shown below, you can trace addresses,
"finger" servers, run Reverse DNS lookups, and follow any route. You
can find out a lot. All of it perfectly common and legal. You can trace
from one IP address to another and even query the machines for what
services the machines have available and then use those services. Be
warned though, if you're clumsy, you can bring down a poorly configured
server or just waste the bandwidth of the server at critical times for
the owners! Practice on your own network.

If you are really interested, download "Sam Spade
http://www.samspade.org/ssw/ and play with it (free). I used it to
trace Bertie to databasix.com, then fingered the server to find out who
it belonged to. I then pinged all his IP addresses to see which ones
were on line and identified the IP address of his computer (or at least
the one the message came from). I quit there. I could have scanned all
the ports on all the machines on his network to see if any were open.
And if I found an open port or could tease one open, or flood one etc.
etc. I could have "made requests." However, while knocking on the port
and making requests is not illegal, forcing a port is.

If you are an Intermediate, get "What'sup Gold" free thirty day trial
from:
http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/net...anagement.html

What's Up will draw you a diagram from your computer to any address you
like, show all the servers and devices along the path and tell you far
more than you want to know. If you have the time, you can map the
entire internet (some exaggeration for effect). You will quickly learn
how to use telephone numbers and registrations to learn the geographical
location of a particular device if it isn't in the log. The email
addresses of server operators are often available and you can email them
if you hit a snag at their server.

It is not very hard stuff, but there is so much of it that it takes time
to "get it." Finding Bertie is easy only because he is lazy. He has
his own ISP and likes to use it. I am sure that he can attack us and be
"almost untraceable" if he wants to take the time to do so, and isn't
concerned with . That is, with a little work, he could
make it a lot of work to track him down and pin it on him. That's what
he does. And he is good at it.

If any one gets really ****ed and goes after Bertie (Gary Burnore), he
seems to just move on until things cool down. However, whenever you
take on one of these guys you have to be damned careful. Some of them
are vicious and will retaliate. Shields up! (I set up my sniffer after I
clashed with him, and I copied my stuff to a friend of mine at my ISP
just in case.)

UU.NET is host to thousands of spammers and cranks. They have only 41
employees to handle both mail and newsgroup abuse complaints. I called
and talked to one of their wiennies and just asked him if he was
familiar with databasix.com. He started laughing and yelled out to the
room, "Hey this guy want's to know if we know Burnmore!"

"Wally" wrote in message
"jlrogers" wrote in message news:ZNMXa.1436

Do a trace and you'll find the header is forged and so is the

routing.

Which header is forged? The IP traces to Comcast, which consistent

with
other headers. How do you know 'the header' is forged, and how did you

find
out?

It came from N. Carolina via MA.

Please show how this is so.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!