Peter Wiley

Default Sikness and Windlass

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:05:02 -0700, Vito wrote:

Errol wrote:

Firstly, besides the commercial drug option, what can I give my Son (18) to
stop or reduce his sea sickness?
This is a real problem as in January 2004 we plan to sail from Richards Bay
in South Africa to Brazil and then onto Seattle USA via Panama. ...

Hate to be a pessimist but I suspect the navys would have found such a
drug if it existed. From my limited experience in Uncle Sam's "yachts",
a few folks remain sick and miserable anytime they're at sea unless
drugged into unconscience. They can't help it, it's just their makeup.
If your son is one of these unfortunates please don't make him endure
such a trip. Fly him over and take someone who'll enjoy the trip with
you and be able to help if needed.

Agreed. I worked with a guy back in the 80's. He had to quit his job
in the end (we were working on fishing research vessels) because he
simply couldn't deal with motion sickness. Ended up throwing up blood.
Not good. There have been a few others over the years. Some people
simply never adjust.

Peter Wiley