Jonathan Ganz

Default Reefing

Out here conditions usually warrant it from the beginning.
I usually have my students practice reefing at the dock,
in part because of the poor way the Catalina reefing is
set up. Typical wind speeds are 20-25 kts. A single reef
in the main and a 100% jib are usually about right. Additionally,
it's easier and safer to remove the reef than for the students
to try and put in a reef on short notice. There are several
areas where it be under 10 kts and then see an increase with
virtually no notice.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I usually leave the dock with the main reefed as the winds tend to get
stronger further out. Also, it gives me a chance to 'get my sea legs' and
sort out the boat.

For god's sake. Reef when conditions warrant and not for "sea legs!"
1st I ever heard of someone reefing for thier own poor balance!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB