Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default "New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Hi Paul. I agree, the Cierra is a nice boat. But again, we are talking
completely different models. The Capri is Bayliner's entry level boat
whereas the Cierra is their top-of-the-line PC cruiser. I have a
dockmate that has a nice '99 model 28' Cierra. Beautiful, roomy boat,
But when placed alongside my Formula 27 PC, again, we are comparing
apples and oranges.

Once again, I re-re-re-state, Please take a USCG boating safety class.

In any event, look at my website for a closer look at the drive on the
Bayliner in question. I bumped the gamma up a bit to see more detail in
the drive, and it looks like it has corrosion damage to the lower unit.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/bayliner.html

Capt. Frank

Paul Schilter wrote:

Capt. Frank,

I think boats need to be matched up to a captain and a body of water.
Perhaps more so to the captain. My brother in law has a 23 foot Bayliner
Ciera. I always been impressed with the usable room and all the amenities
for the price he paid. The problem is he boats on Lake St. Clair in
Michigan. This is a large shallow body of water, which on weekends has a
steady chop of 3 to 4 feet. Also he generally subscribes to two speeds,
idle and pedal to the metal. Consequently his boat has a lot of spidered
gelcoat. Now if perhaps he had a Fountain offshore racer or he was a mellow
sort of a driver or he operated on calmer waters, there wouldn't be a
problem........

Paul

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...

Hi Trevor,
Basically there is no comparison. We are talking apples and oranges. The
Bayliner "Capri" is an entry level boat. Thin hull! A little short on
amenities, Spartan really, and a 4 cyl 130 hp or 135 hp (depends on
which engine is installed) coupled with a basic alpha drive.

The Larson is a high end, well built boat, with a fine reputation. It
includes a 6 cyl 190 hp, and other amenities such as dual batteries (can
save you a tow) and pump-out head. You will also find the items such as
upholstery and in dash instruments are a better quality. You will find
the Larson is a safer, much better built boat which will hold its value
much longer.

Capt Frank

Trevor wrote:

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,