Default Gasoline Availability Good Locally

On Mon, 17 May 2021 09:20:32 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/16/21 7:55 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:29:34 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/16/21 12:25 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2021 09:53:07 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/15/21 9:02 PM,
wrote:

This is an all electric house. The only utilities coming in are FPL
and the telco.
With 5 pumps running off and on, 2 AC units, a water heater, 2 fridges
and a few PCs going all the time, I can rack up some KWH.

Five pumps? Are you running an aquaculture farm there? We have two heat
pumps, but in the winter the main floor of the house is heated via a gas
furnace with electric backup. Water heaters are gas, stovetop is gas,
fireplaces are gas.

2 pumps for the well. One pool pump, one spa pump for circulation, one
R/O booster pump. There is also a jet pump and heater for the spa but
those are only on when I am using it. That really makes the meter hum.

I can't get gas here or I would have it.
OTOH gas isn't all that cheap here and electricity is. (11c /KWH)
Teco is still recovering the cost of running a pipe from Tampa and
they still haven't expanded into most old neighborhoods. I haven't
really looked into it since I can't get it but at my wife's club the
snowbirds were complaining that gas was a lot cheaper up there. I
remember it being a pretty small bill when I was there.

I looked up Maryland...it's in the 11 cents/KWH range in this state,
too, on average. Our local company gets:

SMECO Energy Rates
May 2021
Residential: $0.057873
Plus a couple of "adjustments" and "tariffs" that add about a penny and
a half.

That is the usage rate but the only real way to look at it is to
divide the total bill by the number of KWH used.

Last time I checked propane, it was about $2.75 a gallon, but
that rate fluctuates widely. Have seen it at $3+ a gallon.

Propane can go from a little over $2 a gallon to over $4 here. I don't
buy enough to care that much tho. I know after Irma and through most
of that winter it was around $4 but I didn't need it enough to pay
that much. In the spring I filled my tank for $2.11 "on sale". It is
still out there.

We have a good number of propane "appliances," and two propane
fireplaces. The propane supplier we use is very customer friendly and
service-oriented, so it is easy to maintain or upgrade or replace
whatever uses their product. When we added the second fireplace a few
years ago, the supplier sent out a crew to dig the 3' deep trench
between the buried tank for about 75' to where it enters the house, plus
the fittings, the hookups and the county inspection. The fittings and
hookup were done by a union plumber. My recollection is that the only
charge was for the wrapped copper pipe and fittings.

I paid about $1500 for the buried tank and the connections for the
pool heater and generator (tank, pipe, regulators, permits and labor).
I own the tank so I have some flexibility in who I get to fill it.