John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

Default A proposal

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:51:26 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

On Thursday, 22 April 2021 at 14:42:46 UTC-3, justan wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:r
On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John wrote: On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 09:41:10 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: On 4/20/2021 4:23 PM, wrote: On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:30:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: Been thinking about the race related violence and deaths that seem to be constantly in the news. The media is fixated on the issue of racial profiling of minorities, especially black folks who are often being singled out for stopping by police for minor traffic infractions that escalate into arrests, resisting and too often violence that result in deaths. My thought: When a officer stops a vehicle for a minor traffic infraction, he or she runs a "check" via radio on the driver's (and sometimes passenger's) license or ID. That check automatically includes a search for any outstanding warrants for that person. If a warrant exists, the person is often cuffed and arrested ....

not
for the minor traffic infraction that they were stopped for ... but for the outstanding bench warrant. This often turns into resisting arrest with violent results. This is standard operating procedure for law enforcement. Not blaming them ... it's just "how it's done". Maybe that needs to change. What if outstanding warrants were not automatically included in the "check" at the time of the vehicle being stopped? The stop should be only related to the crime or infraction that caused the police to stop the person, be it for speeding, a broken tail light or whatever. It should not be an excuse to check for anything else, based on the officer's suspicions. If a person has an outstanding warrant, the search for him or her is a different issue altogether and other means of apprehending the person should be used, specifically with the warrant being the issue. Cops would be quick to point out,
traffic stops solve more felonies and result in more felony arrests than detective work. Without traffic stops about half of the drug war wouldn't be able to be prosecuted. Cops call a traffic stop a "tool", AKA a way to get around your rights. (searches, interrogations without Miranda etc) They are not going to give that up. Look at it another way. If they catch a wanted serial killer on a traffic stop, do you want him driving away with a speeding ticket and a smile on his face? Every case of a serial killer on the loose that I've read about results in a dedicated and massive manhunt for the person. Cops don't start stopping every car on the road searching for him. That doesn't mean the killer couldn't be caught while stopped for an infraction. Suppose a felony warrant is discovered at a sobriety checkpoint?John, I am not debating the logic or reasoning of running checks if stopped for a traffic violation.I am questioning using them as

racially profiling tool due to thenumber of unnecessary shootings and deaths. I've heard all thearguments .... "Don't resist and you won't get shot" ... and Ifundamentally agree with them.But I am not black or a minority. (as far as I know) :-)-- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.https://www.avg.com

You are a white American American. You are a minority.
--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html

What's "a white American American"
More of your racist leanings, Justine?

It's a different color than a black African American, simpleton.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!