justan justan is offline

Default A proposal

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
On 4/21/21 9:37 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 4/20/2021 7:27 PM, John wrote: On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:20:01 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: On 4/20/2021 6:51 AM, John wrote: On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:30:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: Been thinking about the race related violence and deaths that seem to be constantly in the news. The media is fixated on the issue of racial profiling of minorities, especially black folks who are often being singled out for stopping by police for minor traffic infractions that escalate into arrests, resisting and too often violence that result in deaths. My thought: When a officer stops a vehicle for a minor traffic infraction, he or she runs a "check" via radio on the driver's (and sometimes passenger's) license or ID. That check automatically includes a search for any outstanding warrants for that person. If a warrant exists, the person is often cuffed and arrested .... not for the minor traffic infraction that they were stopped for ... but for the outstanding bench warrant. This often turns into resisting arrest with violent results. This is standard operating procedure for law enforcement. Not blaming them ... it's just "how it's done". Maybe that needs to change. What if outstanding warrants were not automatically included in the "check" at the time of the vehicle being stopped? The stop should be only related to the crime or infraction that caused the police to stop the person, be it for speeding, a broken tail light or whatever. It should not be an excuse to check for anything else, based on the officer's suspicions. If a person has an outstanding warrant, the search for him or her is a different issue altogether and other means of apprehending the person should be used, specifically with the warrant being the issue. If the warrant is for a violent crime, it's knowledge might be very useful. I understand but if there is a warrant issued for a violent crime it should be under investigation and pursuit by other means. It very well could be. Some kind of compromise is needed to stop the "profiling" concerns. It's also consistent with law that a stop for one infraction isn't cause for arrest for another. A database search is convenient but not necessarily legal, especially if the initial infraction is a busted taillight. Do they issue warrants for such offenses? I can see nothing illegal in searching the law enforcement's data base for warrants. -- Freedom Isn't Free! You are all arguing the policies police can use as they exist now. That was not the point of my "proposal". I was trying to address the issue of people getting shot because they are stopped for a minor infraction and then try to bolt because the police then attempt to arrest for an outstanding warrant. If the stop was *because* of the outstanding warrant ... fine, arrest the person. If the stop was for a broken taillight, expired tags or inspection sticker ... that's the offense they should be guilty of and receive a ticket. I know this doesn't make sense to most. It's not common sense. But the ability of the police to arrest you for something else in your record that had nothing to do with the reason for stopping the person in the first place, will result in these shootings and killings to continue. Attempted robbery is not a death sentence felony. Drug dealing is not a death sentence felony. Failure to pay child support is not a death penalty crime. If someone is guilty of the above, they should be located and arrested on the merit of the outstanding warrant, not for a traffic violation that it seems too often escalates into a shooting. I am not "anti-police" nor am I turning into a screwed-up screaming liberal like some. Just trying to think of ways to keep people alive. Part of the answer may be found in "policing" the recruiting, hiring, and training practices of police departments, and ensuring that they operate in a civilized way that treats everyone encountered decently, and that maximum force is used only when the physical danger to the public or the police is obvious and imminent.George Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground with four cops surrounding him. He should have remained there until he was able to be moved safely. Period.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Maybe Bidens investigation will determine why, once Floyd was
subdued, action wasn't taken to move him to a secure location
like the back seat of a police car.
--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----