justan justan is offline

Default A proposal

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:r
On 4/20/2021 7:27 PM, John wrote: On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:20:01 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: On 4/20/2021 6:51 AM, John wrote: On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:30:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: Been thinking about the race related violence and deaths that seem to be constantly in the news. The media is fixated on the issue of racial profiling of minorities, especially black folks who are often being singled out for stopping by police for minor traffic infractions that escalate into arrests, resisting and too often violence that result in deaths. My thought: When a officer stops a vehicle for a minor traffic infraction, he or she runs a "check" via radio on the driver's (and sometimes passenger's) license or ID. That check automatically includes a search for any outstanding warrants for that person. If a warrant exists, the person is often cuffed and arrested .... not for the minor traffic infraction that they were stopped for ... but for the outstanding bench warrant. This often turns into resisting arrest with violent results. This is standard operating procedure for law enforcement. Not blaming them ... it's just "how it's done". Maybe that needs to change. What if outstanding warrants were not automatically included in the "check" at the time of the vehicle being stopped? The stop should be only related to the crime or infraction that caused the police to stop the person, be it for speeding, a broken tail light or whatever. It should not be an excuse to check for anything else, based on the officer's suspicions. If a person has an outstanding warrant, the search for him or her is a different issue altogether and other means of apprehending the person should be used, specifically with the warrant being the issue. If the warrant is for a violent crime, it's knowledge might be very useful. I understand but if there is a warrant issued for a violent crime it should be under investigation and pursuit by other means. It very well could be. Some kind of compromise is needed to stop the "profiling" concerns. It's also consistent with law that a stop for one infraction isn't cause for arrest for another. A database search is convenient but not necessarily legal, especially if the initial infraction is a busted taillight. Do they issue warrants for such offenses? I can see nothing illegal in searching the law enforcement's data base for warrants. -- Freedom Isn't Free! You are all arguing the policies police can use as they exist now.That was not the point of my "proposal".I was trying to address the issue of people getting shot becausethey are stopped for a minor infraction and then try to boltbecause the police then attempt to arrest for an outstandingwarrant.If the stop was *because* of the outstanding warrant ... fine,arrest the person.If the stop was for a broken taillight, expired tags orinspection sticker ... that's the offense they should beguilty of and receive a ticket.I know this doesn't make sense to most. It's not commonsense. But the ability of the police to arrestyou for something else in your record that had nothingto do with the reason for stopping the person in thefirst place, will result in theseshootings and killings to continue.Attempted robbery is not a death sentence felony.Drug dealing is not a death sentence felony.Failure to pay child support is not a deathpenalty crime.If someone is guilty of the above, they should belocated and arrested on the merit of the outstandingwarrant, not for a traffic violation that it seemstoo often escalates into a shooting.I am not "anti-police" nor am I turning into ascrewed-up screaming liberal like some. Justtrying to think of ways to keep people alive.-- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.https://www.avg.com

EDUCATION for everyone:
Teach folks to respect police.
Teach folks to respect each other.
Teach them to respect the law.
Teach them to not resist arrest.
Teach them not to run.
Teach them how not to be shot during a police stop.
Teach them "If you do the crime prepare to do the time"
Help the police help you stay alive and safe.

Just a thought from sunny,warm Florida :-)

--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html