Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default If you've never tried 'em...

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 17:44:21 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

John wrote:
...these are really, really good.

https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-p...ly-burnt-ends/

Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

What I don’t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for
1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and sliced
bacon.

It is all about the volume. They sell a lot more bacon than raw pork
belly and the guys who make bacon pay a pittance for it. Same way with
Brisket. Those are generally waste byproducts that they sell for
pennies a pound.
I remember when I was working at Swift "Skirt Steak" was a nickel a
pound at the processing plant and my sister fed it to her dogs. Then
we discovered Fajitas and it costs more than sirloin at the store.

Also fads. Guy I knew years ago, around 2004, had run a butcher shop. He
was amazed at the prices for some cuts. He said, stuff they used to,grind
in to hamburger was now more than some steak. I know a guy who grew up
around Santa Barbara where Santa Maria tri tip is from. He said they used
to use sirloin block until it got to expensive and then when to the end of
rump roast. Now the tri tip is $6 a pound on sale.