Default Perfect for my Southern Skiff...

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 01:25:15 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 00:45:21 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 05:06:52 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

On Friday, 12 February 2021 at 02:44:44 UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 05:23:27 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 17:51:35 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 2/11/21 4:36 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:21:08 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

...the 19-footer I am considering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN42mq5eSUc

===

There will be people rushing out to buy them. There appears to be a
major arms race going on with the big multi engine go fast crowd. I
like the fact that they are a lot quieter than the go fast boats of 20
years ago.

https://youtu.be/qv-GPdnJ-1E

I'm sure you are right that they'll sell, even at $75,000 a pop. I'll
bet the fuel burn is...interesting.

===

The people who buy them don't worry about fuel burn.

Probably better the the QE II. That ship gets 6 inches per gallon I read.
These motors seem to drink about 50 GPH WOT (6300-6400) and more like
20 at a 4000-4500 cruise.

https://boattest.com/article/new-mer...00-hp-outboard

The boats they talk about usually have 600-800 gallon tanks so that
gives them a few hundred mile range and a $2000+ fill up.

How bad do you want to get there?

Foolishness!
The wind is still free...at least for the time being.

Sure if you are relatively poor or really really rich but if you can
afford it and you are getting out of sight of land you want an engine
on that sail boat.

===

Interestingly enough an engine on a sailboat is most useful when you
are approaching land or entering a harbor. Offshore they mostly get
used as expensive battery chargers. A lot of cruisers are going solar
however to get away from that.

When my buddy was drifting into Cuban waters and no decent wind, he
sure wanted a motor. Fortunately just when they were getting really
nervous a little puff of wind blew them offshore but they still ended
up on the wrong side of the Keys and just got lucky stumbling onto St
Pete beach. They were about to start heading west, looking for Vero.
(they had an idea about latitude but not much of a clue about
longitude).
Fresh water was a serious problem at that point.
This was long before GPS and they couldn't afford LORAN.