Default plumbng issues

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 05:49:21 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 19:32:02 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

justan wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:r
Getting a new heater and AC system. When the guy was under house doing
theducts, he found two leaks in the water lines. Plumber could not get
therefor a week, so decided I had to crawl under and do the job.
Leaking pipeto a Union and a leaking sweated joint. Water still
dripping from lines,so near impossible to solder. Used Sharkbite
connectors. Fabulousinvention.

Sharkbite, PEX, and other relatively new plumbing materials are
good things to know about. I was thinking of using PVC to run air
compressor air lines around the perimeter of my garage until I
read some horror stories about that material and decided to use
PEX instead. I used a number of Sharkbite fittings but I had
trouble sealing one particular PEX to 1/2 NPT Sharkbite fitting.
in this case I used a Flair-it brand plastic fitting instead. It
screws together; no tools required.

I am doing copper lines.

PVC, CPVC and PEX are king here these days. Florida water seems to be
tough on copper. I really think it is electrical tho. Mine is not
connected to the street and single point connected to the grid. I
haven't had a problem. Places with city water get slammed worse than
well customers. Older homes with metal from the street seem OK too.
I think it is electrolysis.
Law suits were flying in Cape Coral a decade or two ago and nobody
really ever had an answer they were willing to admit.
Most re plumbs were done in plastic.

We have Poly from the meter to the house. House used to be all crappy
galvanized. I understand when these homes were built early 1970’s they had
to get Korean galvanized as US was not making enough. When we had a dry
wood termite problem upstairs bathrooms, I changed most of the galvanized
out to copper. Couple places were impossible to change so used dielectric
unions and brass pipes to connect. One of the leaks was a badly corroded
galvanized pipe connected to the dielectric Union. Changed to brass
fittings.

I am surprised anyone was still using galvanized for plumbing in the
70s. My house in Md built in 53-54 was copper. It also had grounded
Romex but used NEMA 1-15 receptacles. The boxes were grounded.