Default Why I like Apple, continued.

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 07:10:00 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/30/20 11:57 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 13:29:42 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:11:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Took a bit longer than usual, but I heard back from Apple with the
definitive answer that it will be shipping me a replacement iPad. The
analysis was that the charging port was indeed defective, and the on-off
switch was also out of spec, but working. So my iPad will be going to
the refurb factory and a new or refurb'ed unit will be shipped to me
this week and with the holiday, probably arrive next week. My first
Macbook was a refurb from Apple many years ago, and I couldn't tell it
from brand-new, so whatever I get back will be fine, with a new machine
warranty and eligible for AppleCare.

If this were a Dell or HP unit, I'd still be on the phone with the tech
guy reading off a script from Pakistan or India.

===

I've had very good results with HP equipment; rarely needing service
of any kind. Dell, not so much.

Dunno, I used to be against Dell but that was what the country club
used and I got all the old ones they threw away every few years.
I beat the snot out of them. Two lived outside for years and one
laptop is actually on the bar out there. (Runs the slide show in the
Bud Light sign) They ain't broke. Nor is the monitor over the fridge
that was there for Irma. The hardware seems pretty solid.

Your demands on the hardware seem pretty tame.

A lot of my machines run 24/7 and the ones I am talking about are
running in a pretty harsh environment. Neither are in environmentally
controlled space and the one on the bar is actually living outside.
I am not sure what worse use there could be.
The machine itself does not know whether it is finding the cure for
cancer, computing satellite maneuvers or just playing "Alice's
Restaurant".