Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/25/20 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM,
wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but my iPhone can
act as an LTE internet connection for other devices.

That is a hot spot, this is a regular LAN attached router with a SIM
card, just like your cable modem except LTE connected.

Ah, ok. We have really crappy cell signals in this area unless you are
on Route 4. I bought a "booster" to enable us to use our cell phones
reliably in the house. It's LTE, 4G? Anyway, the local Verizon store is
pushing 5G and when I visited the store, the signal strength there was
really no better than it is here, and the store is using a booster, too.
The other providers also have crappy signal strength around here. Cable
TV and internet service has strong signals -wired, of course- but it is
outrageously expensive.

A lot depends on the provider. We used to have ATT cell phones. Great
price, crappy coverage. Lots of Northern California zero coverage. ATT
headquarters are in our city, and lost signal in about half the area.