Justan O. Justan O. is offline

Default Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

On 12/25/20 10:26 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 02:04:01 -0000 (UTC), "Justan O."
wrote:

On 12/25/20 2:00 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 22:33:49 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500,
wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

That is cool as long as you have your phone where you want the data
all the time and all of your devices WiFi. I like my data on my LAN.

All you need is a hot spot with a travel router connected to it. the hot
spot is $50 a month and the router cost $20

This is a base price of $40 with a discount off that for paperless
billing and some other thing. My wife bought it on her cell account so
I am not sure what the bottom line price really is.
This thing does seem to be tied to a particular cell and maybe they
just have me in the wrong cell. They say I can't take it on the road.

I don't like being tied to contracts. I just bought 2 unlocked phones from
Amazon and swapped out our older phones. I pay $48 a month for unlimited
talk and text with 1 gig data each. My hot spot is $50 a month with
unlimited data. I have to return it when I no longer want the service. The
travel router was $20. It will remember the WI Fi connections you make and
automatically reconnect when it can. My home WiFi is kind of goofy.
Sometimes the speed is 2M other times it's 160M. The only time I have to
manually select WI Fi is when I am connected to a router and it doesn't
have an internet connection.
It's probably very similar to Wayne's setup. His boat is probably close
enough to his house that he doesn't have to move any equipment around.

--
LATIN DEFINITION OF SINISTER ???????