Default scrapping the Golden Ray

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 10:39:28 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 09:32:35 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/12/20 11:48 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 04:11:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 2:51:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
https://weather.com/news/news/2020-1...le-cars-photos

4000 cars??? Doesn't seem possible. That is, unless you take into
consideration that the theaters on modern passenger cruise lines can have
a capacity of over 2500 people. ..

These ships are tall also. Did not surprise me that one turned turtle.

===

They rely on ballast tanks to keep them on an even keel. Someone
screwed up with the tank management.

And of course, unlike the passengers on cruise ships, the cars on the
car-carrying ships don't come down with gastric illnesses!

===

True that. I've heard it explained that cars are a relatively light
cargo density compared to normal freight. That allows them to build
the ships higher but makes ballast management more critical.

https://gcaptain.com/coast-guard-medevac-cougar-ace/

Yup, there is a lot of air in a car and they can't really pack them in
that tight without dinging them up. A load of grain will have a much
higher density.