Grumman-581

Default SeaDoos

"Mikhael" wrote ...
You bought a 'boat' for safety yet you drink and drive in it?

Two separate issues there... Don't know about your area, but here in Texas,
drinking and boating go hand-in-hand... Sometimes it's a factor in
accidents, but I suspect testosterone is a factor in more of them... Combine
drinking and testosterone (i.e. teenage drinking) and you up the percentages
somewhat...

Of all the power boat drive mechanisms, a jet drive tends to be the safest
to anyone in the water near the drive mechanism... The maneuverability of my
jet boat is also such that in an emergency I can just turn the wheel all the
way to one side (even from a top speed run) and turn the boat around within
a length of the boat... This is actually quicker than slamming it into full
throttle reverse... I actually had a case where I had to do that on a run
down the San Jacinto river one day... I was coming around a bend in a
remote part of the river and there was a bridge crossing the river... The
bridge was in colors of black and gray... There was an elderly fisherman in
a gray jon boat across the opening underneath the bridge and he was wearing
gray camouflage overalls... He was right in the shadows of the bridge, so I
did not see him until I was right on top of him... I was doing around 40 mph
at the time... I threw the wheel all the way to the left and spun out doing
a 180 in front of him... I then idled past him and explained that I hadn't
seen him in the shadows until it was too late and apologized if I had gotten
him wet with the spray... Turns out the spray had stopped just short of his
boat... Must have been an impressive site from his point of view...