Clams Canino

Default Selecting HP for given hull (outboard)

I'm sorry - I wasn't dissagreeing with the speed part - just the fuel part.
But again I stress that getting the highest output version of *any
particular block* is "free hp" since the weight is the same. If you have to
get a heavier motor to go up - then you might be wasting time.

That's why I run the 99ci inline 6 as opposed ot the V-6's. My outboard
even with power trim is well under 350 pounds. If I want more HP, I'll soup
up my 99ci as opposed to going V. Those things were rigged to put out 90,
115, 130ish, 140, 150, and 160 at the crank. (with race stuff getting to
200hp) Anyone that bought that 90hp was just silly. LOL.

-W

"del cecchi" wrote in message
So you disagree with the rule of thumb that speed varies as the square
root of HP? I got the formula out of a Mercury High Performance Prop
book a few years ago. :-) How much do you think the speed will
increase with an extra 33% or 50 HP? I know you think a 200 will use
less gas putting out 100 hp than a 150 will. I'm open minded on that
question.

del

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
You did fine Gene. He was comparing apples and hammers.

-W

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Perhaps I did a poor job of making my point. Your rule of thumb

works
when one compares apples and apples....