otnmbrd

Default A tough question for Jeff and Shen44

Simple Simon wrote:
"otnmbrd" wrote in message k.net...

Mind if I try? Just talked to Shen and his AOL is typically screwing up
and he can't read any newsgroups.

Simple Simon wrote:

Now, I'm going to expand upon my scenario
of an auxiliary sailboat with sails up but not
making way while underway because the wind
is calm.

It is now nighttime and . . .

The captain decides to take down his sails so
they won't be slating back and forth in the left-
over swell. His motor is off. He is still underway
and not making way but what is he now? Is he
a motor vessel with his engine off or is he a
sailboat with his sails down? What do you think?

My answer would be that he is a sailboat and can
legally run a tricolor light at the masthead. My reason
is because he has sails even though they are furled.

What say you two?

I would disagree (but you expected that). I would hoist NUC.

Not under command means some failure of mechanical systems
that means the vessel cannot maneuver. Lack of wind is not
such a circumstance. No, I think even Jeff and Shen44 would
agree with me that NUC is not applicable here

Suggest you re-read what NUC means.

Sailing
wise, sails up or down, he is incapable of maneuvering since he is
becalmed. However, since he has an engine,(and assuming it's available
to be used) he should be ready to turn off these lights and light
himself as a powerdriven vessel, if the need arises and he is capable of
immediately starting and using that engine, but he prefers to be a
traditionalist and use sail only when possible.

I would agree with you here. I recall there is a rule that in restricted
vis. a vessel should have her engine ready for emergency use. I
suppose it would be prudent and seamanlike to have it ready to
go even if visibility was not resticted.

LOL...You really don't know the rules, do you?

Now, let's do another scene. An auxiliary sailboat
motors, like Bobsprit does, out into Long Island
sound with the cover on the mainsail and the
wind-up jib rolled up tightly. Once well away
from the dock the motor is turned off. What
is the status of this boat that is underway but
not making way?

First off, "not making way" is basically immaterial. However, I just
noticed that the jib is a "wind-up", which means it "may" be available
for immediate use. In this case, the boat could leave it's lights for
powerdriven, on,(if the engine was immediately available) but if he
decides to use the jib then he would have to change to "sail"

A powerdriven vessel, underway (as long as the engine is capable of
immediate maneuver)

I say it is a motor boat with

motor turned off because it used a motor to
get to it's present location. This vessel must
then use the lower running lights and the steaming
light. The use of only the masthead tricolor
is incorrect because it is not sailing, did not
sail to its position and does not have its
sails ready to be put to work.

See above

What say you two?

Answer thoughtfully because if you answer
with a motor boat mentality or otherwise
incorrectly I have set a trap out of which you
both will find it very difficult to escape (as is
the usual case when you two treat with me).

S.Simon

Will be interested in seeing this "trap"

otn

You will see it when the jaws slam shut on your
buddies. (If they give the wrong answers) Part
of the trap is at least one of my opinions above
is a ruse to lead them astray.

S.Simon

ROFL