Simple Simon

Default A tough question for Jeff and Shen44

I don't see any replies yet . . .

He he! I've got 'em on the run. I can see them
now flipping thru the pages of the Rules, scratching
their heads and muttering, "What's he up to? We
gotta get this one right. He's already made us look
bad on numerous occasions. We can't let him
continue to make us look stupid. Etc. etc.

Go ahead, gentlemen. Shake in your boots like
Janet Reno on speed. I don't blame you one bit.

S.Simon

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...
Now, I'm going to expand upon my scenario
of an auxiliary sailboat with sails up but not
making way while underway because the wind
is calm.

It is now nighttime and . . .

The captain decides to take down his sails so
they won't be slating back and forth in the left-
over swell. His motor is off. He is still underway
and not making way but what is he now? Is he
a motor vessel with his engine off or is he a
sailboat with his sails down? What do you think?

My answer would be that he is a sailboat and can
legally run a tricolor light at the masthead. My reason
is because he has sails even though they are furled.

What say you two?

Now, let's do another scene. An auxiliary sailboat
motors, like Bobsprit does, out into Long Island
sound with the cover on the mainsail and the
wind-up jib rolled up tightly. Once well away
from the dock the motor is turned off. What
is the status of this boat that is underway but
not making way? I say it is a motor boat with
motor turned off because it used a motor to
get to it's present location. This vessel must
then use the lower running lights and the steaming
light. The use of only the masthead tricolor
is incorrect because it is not sailing, did not
sail to its position and does not have its
sails ready to be put to work.

What say you two?

Answer thoughtfully because if you answer
with a motor boat mentality or otherwise
incorrectly I have set a trap out of which you
both will find it very difficult to escape (as is
the usual case when you two treat with me).

S.Simon