Its Me Its Me is offline

Default Hot dog

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 1:23:15 AM UTC-4, Justan wrote:
On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 23:22:57 -0000 (UTC), Justan wrote:

Now that Fat Harry is history we have some new boating blood on rec.boats

===

Yes, very encouraging. It's also nice that every new post is not
degenerating into a political food fight.

Unfortunately I don't have any boating adventures to share right now,
wish I did. My challenge this summer is to figure out where my
stabilizer system is leaking hydraulic oil and fix it. Unfortunately
my expertise lies elsewhere, and the so called experts have already
failed several times.

The system consists of a Vickers 10 hp hydraulic pump on the port side
engine, coupled to a resevoir and control gyro. The gyro senses roll
motion and sends fluid to remote servo valves as needed. The servo
valves are like electrical relays in that a small input can control a
large amout of power, in this case the power to turn the stabilizer
fins in the proper direction to minimize roll. The leak(s) could be
just about anywhere and access to hoses, servo valves and pistons is
poor. Most likely suspects are leaking hydraulic seals, leaking hose
or hose connection.

All suggestions welcome.

Dirt will gather on even the smallest leak. Cameras can go where your eyes
can't. Be patient. You'll find it.

There are some inexpensive inspection cameras available now. Some use bluetooth to your phone to use it's display, and for just a bit more you can get self-contained ones that have their own display.

Here's a sample:
https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Conditioner/dp/B0888S8ZSN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=inspection+camer a&qid=1595093543&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNVNGM DQxR0s4NUVMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU2OTcwM1AzSTg1REY xMDlDMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODU4MzUxM0QyRlVQU04zW kRSWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWR pcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=