Justan Justan is offline

Default 1998 4.3L V6 Mercruiser Engine Problems

On 7/14/20 8:12 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 23:36:54 -0000 (UTC), Justan wrote:

On 7/14/20 5:00 PM, Susan Froman wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Pbwriter wrote:
There are no points in this engine system but in addition
to the fuel, check timing. The "Thunderbolt" breakerless
system is very reliable BUT the magnetic pick-up (stator)
has been known to break at the slot where the reluctor
runs through--test with gently pressure. This is caused
by the reluctor (what would be rotar in breaker suystem)
being out of round when installed. I know from experiance
that they can look ok when broken. Dealer should replace
if thats it--need stator and new reluctor.
Good Luck,
Dan
Jim wrote in message ...
I am having a problem with my engine. I have a 1998 4.3L V6 Mercruiser
Engine. The other day while out boating it just died. I was able to
restart it a few times at idle speed, but when I went to up the rpm's in
neutral, it sounded like it flooded and would die. Now the engine turns
over but won't catch.

I have tried the following things:

Coil and Plugs checked out OK, got good spark from both
Looked at the dist cap and rotor, all clean and dry
Checked fuel filter at carb, clean
Poured Ether and Gas in carb, no luck
Removed fuel line at carb, turned engine over a few times, lots of gas came
out
Checked to see if I had gas, yup 3/4 tank
Checked kill switch, in the run pos

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Damsel in distress!
I know this post is 10 years old, but maybe you remember the fix?
I haven't used my 1999 boat in 2 years, but have always taken very good care of it until I had a back injury and couldn't use it last summer. I'm cleaning it up to sell. It won't start. No clicking, no horn, no trying to turn over. Any suggestions? I don't know my way around an engine so I need pictures.

The engine won't turn over unless the gear shifter is in neutral.

That won't keep the horn from blowing.

True