matt colie

Default Storing sails

Gary,
You have actually asked a very good question that begs a better answer
than you got.

If you must store sails for any period, make sue it is somewhere mouse
proof. Those little guys love dacron and will even shread kevlar to
make a nest.

If the sails are dacron, folding is about as good as rolling and their
stored life seema to be indefinite.
If the sails you want to store are laminated (almost any lamination type
), then rolling is better. They still have a limited life is use or in
storage and that is about six years. That is when the laminating
adhesive will start to go.

Two successful (by my experience) ways to stop mice:
- Steel trash cans - yes I have three in my barn shop just for sails
- Hang the bags so only the closure string has contact with the cailing

By the way, Horvath does not actually sail. he seems to be the 12 year
old son of someone that once did, but nobody on any of the boats he
references knows anything about him.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

Horvath wrote:
On 15 Jul 2003 14:33:11 -0700, (Gary) wrote this
crap:

I've just bought my first boat - a 1983 Ericson 28+ - that came
equipped with several sails that I don't think I'll be using this
season. Right not they're all stuffed in sailbags sitting in my
garage. Is this an acceptable way to store sails that won't be used
for a year? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are you serious?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!