[email protected] shirleywillett1@gmail.com is offline

Default Cape Dory 25 Outboard Help

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 10:30:12 AM UTC-5, wayne.b wrote:
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:57:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, January 9, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically
pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
the summer.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that
would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
make this easier?

What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this
boat -- problems? Raves?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift it out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with long shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

What motor mount bracket for a 4 stroke will work on this boat?

Celeste

===

I have one of these and it would probably work for you. I'd be
willing to sell it if you're anywhere near south Florida and can pick
it up.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1825671|2348991&id=56208

---
https://www.avg.com

I also have this problem with the hull angle. I just got my motor reworked after it had sat for years in the well by the prior owner. I will not be putting my (now expensive) motor back in the motor well. I purchased an outboard motor mount to put on the back. Now to work out the angle problem. I am going to use wood layered for enough thickness to cut a 30 degree angle for mounting to my hull. A stainless plate on the inside of the hull for stability and to make it sturdy. I will be glassing the wood before mounting to the hull. The motor mount of choice can then be added to the wood. The 30 degree angle will give me a straight set up for the motor.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know soon before I do all this.