Justan Ohlphart[_4_] Justan Ohlphart[_4_] is offline

Default Hunting Golf Balls in Florida...

Wrote in message:
On Thu, 14 May 2020 18:29:19 -0400, "Mr. wrote:On 5/14/2020 5:06 PM, John wrote: On Thu, 14 May 2020 20:51:26 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: John wrote: On Thu, 14 May 2020 09:18:27 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote: "Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message: On 5/13/2020 1:36 PM,
wrote: On Wed, 13 May 2020 10:32:23 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote: On 5/13/2020 12:13 AM, wrote: On Tue, 12 May 2020 16:25:19 -0400, John wrote: ...can be a bit dangerous! https://www.liveabout.com/the-giant-florida-rattlesnake-3299773 -- === There are a lot of opportunities here to become part of the food chain. Not nearly as big as the one in John's link but Mrs.E. came home to our house in Jupiter, FL one day to find a 4 foot diamond backed rattle snake coiled up in the entrance to our house. It's the reason I bought a shotgun. Also had those "pygmy" rattle snakes usually as nests in brush and construction debris. You need more black snakes. They tend to run the rattlesnakes off. A black snake will eat a rattlesnake. http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Blacksnake2.jpg That's OK. You can keep all your rattlesnakes, black snakes,fire ants and wild boar down there. :-)We have rattlesnakes up here but they are very rarely seen. The"Blue Hills Reservation" here used to be infested with them.-- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.https://www.avg.com Probably still is. I have never seen a live rattler in the wild in florida. I think i might have seen a flat pigmy on the road the other day judging by its shape. There's some pretty big black snakes around here. I measured one shed skin at 4 feet. They don't bother me much as long as there is some distance between us. When working at Cape Canaveral back in mid 60's, I saw several rattlers on the roads and in the brush on the cape. -- Freedom Isn't Free! Had a friend years ago, who was stationed at a Sage .radar side in nowhere Oregon high desert. He said the biggest problem was the rattlers loved to nest under the raised floor of the computer room. So, when you had to pull flooring to move cables, made an exciting day. They probably used a lot of CO2 fire extinguishers to calm them down. While working with a National Guard unit at Ft. Irwin, CA (out in the middle of the Mojave) our jeep broke down as we were headed in after dark. We had no radio, and cell phones hadn't been invented yet. We were probably ten miles from the post. We decided to walk back to the last intersection which had some traffic. Got out of the jeep and hadn't gone 20 yards when we see a snake on the asphalt road. We weren't sure what it was, too dark, but we decided to stay in the damn jeep and sleep there if necessary. Before too long we saw some headlights coming down the road. The car would move, stop, move, stop, and so on. Finally it got to us. The man got out and offered to help. We asked what he was doing. "Collecting rattlers," he said. Then he showed us the back end of the station wagon, where his son was sitting with a forked stick. He point to two burlap bags full of rattlers. He would drive over them, without hitting them, and his son would pin them down. Then he'd collect it and bag it. He had about 20 in the bags. Lots of rattlers in the Mojave, and they like hot asphalt at night.Don't they make the antidote for a snake bite from the venom? Seem to remember guys like those you described collect them for that purpose.Yes they do and milking rattle snakes is a job someone does. There arevideos on You Tube I imagine but they stretch a rubber cover over thelip of a bottle, hook the fangs over the lip, through the membrane andscrew with the snake until it pumps out all of it's venom.

We went to a place where they do that. They brought out a couple
of non venomous snakes so we could handle them. One was an
indigo. Very docile and relaxed around humans. I forget what the
other one was. Then they milked a few different kinds of venomous
snakes behind a glass window in the next room. Anyway, one
interesting takeaway was that once the venom is collected it is
shipped to, I think, Pfizer where they blend all the venoms from
different types of snakes together and purify it to make
antivenom.
--
Warning. Use provided links at your own risk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/