Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline

Default United Airlines asking workers to leave their jobs...

On 5/5/20 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2020 13:47:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 5/5/20 1:02 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2020 08:16:32 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

I feel for the working stiff airline employees everywhere who are going
to lose their jobs, but not for the airline industry or its shareholders
in this country who for decades have made air travel the miserable
experience it has become for passengers. I'm old enough to remember when
air travel was "regulated," and when planes were roomier, service was
better, and our airports were only on the verge of being obsolete.

Perhaps there will be a rebirth of airline companies devoted to decent
service at decent prices, but I doubt it.

(CNN Business) A top executive at United Airlines is telling employees
to consider leaving the company voluntarily as it grapples with the
consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.
In a memo to some United Airlines staffers, which was obtained by CNN
Business, Greg Hart — the company's chief operations officer — said the
airline will need to "right size" its workforce.

The problem will be what you call "decent prices". In spite of 300%
inflation. the "regulated" plane fare in 1977 was far more than what
you can get economy coach for now.
If you can't afford 1st class now, you couldn't afford "regulated"
coach.

It's not a matter of afford...it is a matter of not willing to be robbed
for a slightly larger seat, the same crappy little uncleaned restrooms,
and a $3.00 first class airline meal. Last time I checked, it was $900
more for "first class" trip to San Francisco.

That sounds about right although there are some ways to get a better
price and still ride up front. You do get extra stuff. Usually you are
only sharing that little bathroom with a dozen other people, not 2
bathrooms for 100 people. You get priority boarding, the fast line
through TSA, Fast line at the ticket counter if you need something,
checked bags are included, up to 70 pounds each, free drinks, better
service overall and the seat is a LOT bigger.
What do you think a fair price for a flight should be, assuming you
want it to include checked bags, a seat that is not cramped so badly
the person in front of you can't use the seat recliner, maybe a snack
and a soft drink?
If you want to pay Walmart prices for an ala carte ticket, expect to
pay extra for everything. That is what ala carte means.

On most of the planes I've been on in recent years, the toilet in first
class is accessible to anyone on the plane. I've flown first class in
about half the flights I've taken in the last two decades.

Priority boarding doesn't make the plane take off faster. A few cheap
drinks and a crappy airline meal doesn't add up to the increase in
price. Yes, the seat is bigger.

I think the airlines have ****ed themselves over, and I don't mean the
corona-related troubles.

--
MAGA - Manipulating America's Gullible Assholes