Default Bank absurdity

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 13:45:47 -0400, B wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 16:59:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/20/2020 3:36 PM, John wrote:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:21:26 -0400, wrote:

I went to the bank and the teller line is closed, you have to use the
drive through so instead of being able to do a social distanced
transaction at the counter they want me to bring a virus infected
document carrier into my car, handle it on my lap and add whatever
viruses I might have. Then you send it back into the bank to infect
the teller and then out to the next victim.
I kept driving.

These people have lost their minds.

Use your computer. It's much more convenient and won't spread the virus. Just
don't lick your monitor!

But then Greg would probably have to upgrade from his 1200 Baud dial-up
modem.

:-)

The strange thing is, if you turned off graphics in your browser, it
should run pretty fast. ATMs ran on 2400 BPS modems and the lag was
processing, not data transmission. I have spent way more time than I
like to think about looking at ATM data streams. The bank loop wasn't
particularly fast either and it was handling a bunch of teller
stations. Banking is basically text until you start sending check
images.

If I am just doing this usenet stuff, it is hard to tell if I am on
dial up or broadband.

Don't you remember Stand-In transacitons when the back end computers
were not as fast as they are now?

Are you talking about "no host"?